Translate

Monday 21 July 2014

D&D 5e

Some thoughts


Introduction

What follows may be a little off topic  as this bolg is first and foremost about a particular HackMaster 5e and started off being about one particular game and has spread to several others and associated topics. I did however start playing D&D with the pale blue starter box in 1976 & got My first copy of an AD&D book the soft cover players hand book for Christmas that year and moved to running AD&D first edition in early 1977 as the GMG and then the  Monster Manual came out and continued to be a player and a GM for some considerable time there after even if Traveller and particularly Runequest became my games of choice as both where less constraining character wise than the strictly class based Basic and Advanced D&D . I have played every other version of D&D/AD&D since even if I have not run a game with all of them and I liked the recent fourth edition up until the whole essentials fiasco and the killing of the stand alone character support programs which rather put me off with what I considered rather unnecessary rules changes indeed the only negative thing I could say about AD&D 4e was that it departed from the mechanics and the path of development which had started with AD&D 1e indeed it was even easier for a new player to grasp than previous editions and the core tier structure was rather nicely implemented and the introductory  adventure  Keep on the Shadow fell was fun from a player prospective. Indeed its on my list of adventures I would like to run for HM5e.

AD&D 5e

I have as yet not played this thought I am due to be playing a trial game at spirit Games on Tuesday which is tomorrow as I write this article and I have downloaded and browsed through the Basic download rules these I have to say did not grip me as the game felt more than a little bland and a bit limited but that might be just my reading of  what are when all said and done a set of starter rules and when I did the same a couple or three years back with the HackMaster Basic PDF it grabbed me by the collar and dragged me down Spirit Games to go on a hard copy hunt  and I have been an increasing HackMaster fan ever since This didn't I have to say but I am more than prepared to see how it works in practice even if I have this feeling its not going to knock HackMaster of its pedestal for me 

I will report back likely on Wednesday

AD&D 5e starter box review here


Anyway with this posted I will get back on topic

No comments:

Post a Comment